Good friends and good food is a match made in heaven. A very dear friend was getting his new bride to our house for the very first time and we were determined to spoil them silly, with food of course!
We planned a very elaborate dinner complete with starters, main course and dessert. Both of them have spicy taste buds, so we planned fiery starters. While I was in the midst of the entire spicy starter planning, I thought of serving an appetizer that could work as a wonderful palette cleanser of sorts, amongst its spicy contemporaries .Plump prawns tossed with dollops of butter and loads of garlic was what I came up with. And just as I had thought, it went beautifully with the rest of the spicy fare, infact it stood out and our guests of honour totally loved it!
Here is our version of chilly butter garlic prawns
- Large Prawns – 25-30
- Fresh red chilies ( not the dry ones),finely chopped – 6
- Black Pepper corns, crushed – 7-8
- Chilli Flakes – 2 tsps.
- Garlic cloves finely chopped – 12-15
- Lemon juice - 2tsps
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil – 3 tbsps.
- Parsley, finely chopped
- Salt to taste
- Loads of Butter
- In a nice wide bowl pop in your red chillies, crushed peppercorns, chilli flakes, garlic, salt and extra virgin oil and mix all of these really well. Let the marinade rest for a bit.
- Add your prawns to the bowl. Prawns are really delicate so toss them gently so that they are well coated with the marinade.
- Refrigerate the marinated prawn for around 2 hours, so all the flavours are well infused. Don’t freeze them though.
- In a non-stick pan, add a few dollops of butter. There is no limit to the amount of butter you want to use here. Once the butter has melted, add your prawns. Make sure your butter does not burn before you add your prawns.
- Sauté the prawns well in the butter for around 2-3 minutes, depending upon the size of the prawns. Allow them to cook till they turn a beautiful blushy pink.Prawns cook really fast, so make sure not to overcook them, or you will end up with very rubbery prawns
- Once they are done, place them on your serving plate
- Drizzle them with the yummy buttery garlicky sauce generously
- Garnish with some finely chopped parsley