A cake can solve all your problems. Yes, Really.
- Stressed at work? Bake a cake!
- Occasion to celebrate? Bake a cake!
- Feeling lousy? Bake a cake?
- Meeting someone special? Bake a CAKE!
You get the point. Of the many things that make our world go round, cake certainly ranks near the top!
I remember mom used to bake us a cake on our birthdays! Those cakes were usually chocolaty and decorated with Cadbury Gems. My brother and I used to finish one 1 kg cake in a matter of minutes. Such has been our love for cakes.
While Chocolate is my most favoured choice, this time I decided to do a Butter cake. Something different for my palate.
So Butter cake it was.
- 4 Eggs
- 2 Cups of flour (Maida)
- 2 table spoons of Baking powder
- ½ table spoon of baking soda
- Orange essence
- 1/3rd glass of butter milk
- 1/2 cup of milk
- 2 cups of Sugar
- 250 – 300 gms of butter
Prep time : 20- 25 minutes
Bake Time : 45-50 minutes
- Take your regular sugar and ground it to a not so fine powder in your blender. Keep aside.
- In a bowl, sieve the flour, baking soda and baking powder together to ensure no lumps are formed.
- Take the powdered sugar, add the butter and orange essence and whisk it nicely. Keep whisking till you are satisfied with the blend.
- To this mix, add eggs one at a time. Whisk to combine. Once all the eggs are added, add the butter milk and whisk well. The butter milk will help the cake to rise well, and make it nice and fluffy. The science behind it is that it helps to soften the gluten (a type of protein in flour) and make the cake light and fluffy. Also it adds a nice acidic tangy touch to the cake.
- Add the flour to this mix. Add only a few tablespoons at a time followed by milk. Keep doing this till the flour mix is over.
- Pre heat the microwave to 160 degree C.
- Grease a nice (any shape) baking tray.
- Pour the batter into the tray, tap in on the kitchen counter a couple of times, and keep to bake for about 45 -50 minutes. Keep an eye on it after 40 minutes.
- Do the toothpick test to see if the cake is baked or not.
- Transfer to a wire rack. Let it cool. Always cut a cake after it has cooled down. Once it firms up, cutting will be easier.
- Relish with a hot cup of coffee or any other drink you please!