Of all the desserts in the world, we love Icecream the most!
With so many flavours, and combinations possible, it is one of the most versatile desserts around.
We make it a point to use the flavour of the season to decide what ice cream to go with! And with strawberries in full season, what better that Strawberry Icecream!
The recipe we follow is a pretty straight forward custard based recipe (aka the French way). Think creamy, full bodied flavours that linger in your mouth long after the scoops are over!
– 7-8 medium sized eggs
– 750 gms of fresh strawberries
– 500 ml full fat milk
– 500 gm cream
– 200 gms castor sugar
– 2 pods of vanilla
– 10-15 ml of lemon juice
Making the Custard
1. Heat the milk, cream and vanilla together in a heavy bottomed pan till it just comes to boil. Don’t boil it over else there is a chance of the mixture curdling. Keep it aside to cool down.
2. In a large bowl, whisk the egg yolks with the sugar till it is a pale yellow blend.
3. Add the cooled mixture of step 1 to the whisked eggs and sugar mixture. Make sure the milk mixture is cool else you will end up cooking the eggs!
4. Whisk the mixture nicely, and put it back in the pan on medium heat, till the custard cooks. You will know the custard is cooked if it doesn’t flow freely off the back of a wooden laddle. Once the custard is done, keep it to cool down.
Note: There are chances that the custard may have curdled or split at this stage. If you notice it has curdled, or looks weird, simply put it in a blender and give it a quick whizz. Since it will be very hot, be very very careful!
5. Puree the strawberry. At this stage you could add about 20 ml of Rum to the puree. Don’t add too much alcohol, else the ice cream won’t set.
6. Add this puree and the lemon juice to the custard. Vary the quantity of the puree according to how strong or mellow you want your ice cream. Mix well, and set to freeze in an air tight container. I use tupperware.
7. After 4 hours or so, re blend the ice cream in a processor to break down the ice crystals. Do this 2 or 3 times and you should have a very smooth ice cream as the fruits of you labour!
Enjoy your icecream any time of the day!