Gulkand Ice Cream is to die for. Honestly it is! Gulkand, or Rose Petal Jam is a natural body coolant and overall stress reliever. Most commonly used as an additive to pan, Gulkand is of a thickish consistency, is very sweet, and has a heady aroma. Making Gulkand is a time consuming affair. It is simple to make at home, provided you have ample time to keep and eye on its progress.
When we were little kids, there was always Gulkand at home. In Delhi heat it was a must have! One spoon a day ensured our bodies were naturally cooled internally. On top of that there used to be a very popular hard boiled candy of the same flavor that used to make us go wild with excitement. We loved Gulkand because it tasted awesome. Only now do we realise how beneficial it is to our health! The beauty of Gulkand is that is suitable for all ages! Though if you are diabetic, you may want to check with your doctor first.
Thanks to its natural cooling properties gulkand is excellent for combating acidity, aids digestion, strengthens gums and teeth, and is a natural rejuvenator as it is a powerful antioxidant! You can read more about Gulkand and its benefits here.
Gulkand flavored ice cream is super easy to make! If you have been following our blog, you would know that we are ice cream fanatics. We followed a simple custard base recipe that can be done in a jiffy. You can also try making Gulkand sorbet or ice lollies which i assure you will be equally awesome!
- 5-6 large Egg yolks
- 500 ml full cream milk
- 350 ml full cream
- Castor Sugar – 1/2 Cup
- 200 -250 gms of gulkand
- Make a custard base. Heat the milk and cream together in a thick bottomed pan, and let it simmer. Do not boil. Once simmered, keep it to cool. You could use an ice bath to allow the blend to cool faster.
- Whisk egg yolks with sugar and keep aside.
- Once the blend is cooled down, add the egg and sugar mix to it, stirring constantly, on low heat. This will not cook the eggs. Eventually eggs add to the creaminess of the ice cream.
- Once the custard is formed, add the Gulkand mix to it, one spoon at a time. Gulkand is thick and pasty so it will take some time to dissolve. Keep stirring. Open a beer if you’d like to.
- Once the Gulkand has blended in well, take the mix of the gas and allow it to cool.
- Once cooled, pour the blend in an airtight container. You could use a Tupperware box too since it is airtight and hold the blend well. Once poured tap the box on the kitchen platform gently to ensure bubbles don’t form up
- Freeze the blend for 4 hours. After that, take it out, whip it in a blender / food processor, and keep to freeze again. Do this twice. This will ensure that no ice crystals form, and the final product will be rich and creamy.
It is one of our all time favourites! Rich and creamy, it brings instant nirvana! Some of the best Gulkand ice cream i ever had was at joint in Chennai. Ever since, I’ve wanted to make it myself!
This ice cream is perfect way to beat the summer heat, wrap up a good dinner and score points where they matter!